It’s a forward thinking night of epic proportion on the Terraza on 02 September. There’s performances from three markedly different artists in the form of Carl Craig and a back-to-back session with Four Tet vs. Caribou. It’s something of a coup to have so many maestros of this calibre in one of music’s most famous rooms. Resident Paul Woolford completes the room’s lineup, with jozif playing together with Vitalik’s head honcho, Ryan O Gorman. In the Discoteca the Glaswegian techno of Slam live are up alongside the International Gigolo DJ Hell. There’s also a welcome return from Tiga and our moustached favourite Ivan Smagghe.
The Discoteca welcomes Carl Craig to the table on 22 July. Detroit’s finest musical export appears in addition to Dutchman Joris Voorn whose sets have grown to mythic proportion over recent We Love seasons. The techy Swiss sounds of Deetron are up after the sweet beats of seasoned campaigner Ryan O’Gorman. On the Terraza it’s a return for the delectable melodies of Miss Kittin, a true original and unique musical force. She’s joined by something of a Leeds triptych with residents PBR Streetgang and Paul Woolford being joined by 2020Vision honcho Ralph Lawson.
The opening fiesta of We Love Space 2012 is set to define the season ahead. After a special singular performance last summer, the Innervisions collective are back on the Terraza (for the first of four shows) in the form of Dixon, Âme and Henrik Schwarz. They’re bringing their own delectable take on their label’s back catalogue and beyond with support from the ever affable Tensnake and seasoned campaigner Ryan O’Gorman. Meanwhile, in the Discoteca an old friend is reviving an alias in the form of Carl Craig’s 69. His thundering breakbeats and funk flickers are followed up by fellow D-Town native Derrick May. The gap between techno and UK-bass is bridged by a back-to-back session between long-serving resident Paul Woolford and Rinse FM man Ben UFO. The trademark house sound of Jem Haynes is to open proceedings.
Seth Troxler and Carl Craig grace Milan with their presence…
The three hour train journey into Milano Centrale gave us plenty of time to sike ourselves up for the night with a few beers and plenty of talk about music, DJs and festivals. Not that anyone would need siking up for a night with these two, but it’s all part and parcel of the night out.
Once we finally arrived in Milan and got a few rum and cokes from a gelateria, we made our way down to Magazzini Generali and started loosening up to the laid back sounds of the resident. 1am and Seth take the helm, seamlessly following on from where the resident left off, warming the crowd with some deep laid back grooves and real quirky elements. Building and building the feel of his set with such class. Within no time at all, Seth had the whole place rocking to his deep quirky style, which resonated through the crowd and left plenty of groove swinging in every corner of the club. From time to time Seth took the crowd down small momentary paths of a slightly melodic style with plenty of drive, which seemed to blend perfectly back into that quirky style, being absolutely relentless in keep things swinging. The crowd was loving it and so was Seth by the looks of things.
Around 3am Carl Craig takes to the controls, where he seemed adamant to completely surpass Seth by driving the music even harder with record like Martinez’s deeply driven “Mzuzu”, whilst blending in some great uplifting moment such as a remix of Inner City’s “Good Life”. Carl‘s hard driven session wasn‘t too much for the faint hearted and was well received by the jumping crowd. His closing piece especially went done well; “String’s of Life”.
But it has to be said that Seth Troxler really added something else to the night, with what can only be described as an excellent selection of music perfectly mixed together.
Chymera is back again with a great mix as usual, although this one is somewhat different from the normal mixes by Chymera. In his almost 2 hour “Chic Mix” he creates more variations with deep meaningful tracks layered with genuine positive feeling, creating the kind of mix you could happily listen to almost anywhere. As time progresses, so does the mix and the pace starts to pick up with some funky grooves!
01. Subsonic Park – After Dark /// Elektrolux 
02. Marc DePulse - Lagoooon (Afrilounge Rmx) /// Playmate Music 
03. Abicah Soul Project – Nimba (ASP Original) /// Symple Sound 
04. Plasmik - Mindpattern (Afrilounge’s Deep String Mix) /// Connaisseur 
05. Corrugated Tunnel – My Machine Code /// Nightvision 
06. Ralph Falcon – The Dig /// Renaissance 
07. Beroshima – Horizon (Funk D’Void’s Hope Remix) /// Soma 
08. Secret Cinema – For My Love ///| EC Records 
09. Ariel – Otra Vez (Camara Album Mix) /// MyDust 
10. Sterac - Rond /// Delsin 
11. Sterac - Bot /// Delsin 
12. Chymera - Saphiron /// NRK 
13. Tons of Tones – Sheherezade /// Urban Sound of Amsterdam 
14. Green Velvet – Abduction /// Music Man 
15. Parallel 9 – Index /// Music Man 
16. Robert Hood – And Then We Planned Our Escape /// Music Man 
17. Ada – Fizzmann /// Areal 
18. Donnacha Costello – Black Bag Job /// Minimise 
19. LoSoul – Open Door /// Playhouse 
20. Johnny D – Deja Vu /// 8bit 
21. Kevin Saunderson – Til me Meet Again (Carl Craig Remix) /// 10 Records 
22. Robert Hood – Memo from Thunder /// Peacefrog 
23. Chateau Flight – Baroque /// Innervisions 
24. Querida - 3-5-3 /// Kanzleramt 
25. Kink, Neville Watson – Inside Out /// Hour House Is Your Rush Records 
26. Eamonn Doyle – Come Down On The Music (Los Hermanos Mix) /// D1 
27. Galaxy 2 Galaxy – Transition /// Submerge 
28. Pär Grindvik - Continue in my words (Dettmann, Klock remix) /// Spectral 
29. Marco Passarani - Nova /// Pigna 
30. Burial – Archangel /// Hyperdub 
We been taking a butcher’s at Luciano’s calendar for the next couple of months and we must say there are a fair number of interesting dates, which are well worth attending.
19 Sep @ Pacha, Ibiza, Spain
26 Sep @ Pacha, Ibiza, Spain
03 Oct @ Pacha, Ibiza, Spain (Luciano B2B Carl Craig) 30 Oct @ Café D Anvers, Anvers, Belgium
31 Oct @ Hanger Bicocca, Milano, Italy
06 Nov @ Fabric, London, England
13 Nov @ Chalet, Torino, Italy
19 Nov @ Arma 17, Moscow, Russia
20 Nov @ Warehouse, Bucharest, Romania
10 Dec @ Pacha, New York, USA 27 Dec @ Warehouse Project, Manchester, England
For more details on Luciano and other artists such as Alex Picone, Brothers Vibe, Michel Cleis, Mirko Loko, Reboot & Robert Dietz….Check outCadenza