GS Select 11.06
Ten of the finest tunes on the scene at the moment…
With so much great music out there Guerilla Sounds decided to put together a quick top ten mix of the finest. The GS Select mix is not just about the 10 most popular underground tunes out there, it’s about the most inspiring and dynamic music there is, whilst demonstrating and supporting some of the futures freshest artists. Not an easy task, but we feel that this June mix does exactly what we have set out to do. Especially as we have manage to incorporate not only new artist on the scene, but also new label standing alongside a couple of the pioneer labels of underground house music.
01. Maya Jane Coles – Focus Now /// 2020 Vision
02. Lo – The Cross /// Bigger Deer Recordings
03. Gianni Amoroso – Conga Plus /// Morning mood
04. Geshe Ewing – I play House /// Smiley Fingers
05. Genetikal Twins – Blast (Afrilounge Acid House Remix) /// Indepth MusicRec
06. Gianni Amoroso – Daily Mistake /// Morning Mood
07. Alex Niggemann – SmashYourFace /// Poker Flat
08. Chris MiMo – Right Result /// Bigger Deer Recordings
09. The Pushamann – Rhyme or Reason (Mitch Davis Remix)
10. Manuel ‘de’ Lorenzi & Giammaria – R.I.P. /// Indepth MusicRec
Maya Jane Coles – Focus Now EP
Maya Jane Coles transmit’s a deeper meaning…
The latest release by Maya Jane Coles on 2020 Vision is her “Focus Now EP”, comprising of four carefully constructed tracks. The title track, “Focus Now” is quite particular with it’s delicate rhythmic synth sequences fluttering around. Maya has still managed to inject her deep sound but only subtly, allowing the spacious mystic feeling of the synth sequences to shine through, creating a spectacular drift the to track.
“Little One” however, has a very laidback deep house groove to it that feels like it’s got an old house vibe to it and boasts vocal cuts from Maya Jane Coles herself. But it’s the slow paced “Senseless” that really shows off her vocal talent, layered over this mild fusion of deep house and electro pop. Her vocals really bring out the best in this track and makes it and instant favourite.
Last but not least is “The High Life”, which is string led drifter likely to take anyone to another place. The track is built on that deep Maya Jane Coles foundation, with strings loops being played and reversed, distant vocal cuts giving it that dreamy edge, but it’s those subtle synth stabs that really get you.
Those overall sound of “Focus Now” drifts away from the underground hit category, but Maya Jane Coles has really moved forwards and put together an EP that is deeper, not by sound, but by meaning, which can be clearly felt in “Senseless” and even more so in “The High Life”.